Sunday, July 7, 2013

Awesome Following-Directions Activity

I think I may be in love with this new following directions activity I stumbled across on TPT.  The activities are from Primary Techie (check out her TPT store here).  This activity works on so many goal areas at once...numbers, colors, reading, fine motor, and direction following.  



Each kid starts with a 100s chart.  

There is a power point which provides directions one slide at a time.  Each slide directs the kids color a certain number.  After the kids complete the whole slide show, they have created a mystery picture.

I have never seen my kids so engaged for such a long period of time.  This activity took us about 20 minute to complete and my kids were hanging on every word because they were so excited to figure out what the mystery picture was going to be.  We do not have a projector (which was recommended), so instead I read the slides out loud.  This helped my kids in learning to follow 2-part directions since they have to listen to and select the correct color and then color the correct number.  

Also, the day we completed this, I had several kids absent...so the next day, I had one of my students read the directions aloud to his classmates who missed the activity.  This was great, because now he was working on reading number words and waiting for his classmates to be ready for the next number, while the other two were working on following directions.  I am definitely a huge fan of this activity, and will definitely need to buy some this summer for next year.  I am thinking these would be great replacements for games during our "social time" or awesome as a station at a holiday party.  These could even be incorporated into independent work station tasks.

Oh, and here is how they turned out!  I love how even my kids who struggle with fine motor skills and coloring, still had their pictures turn out great!

3 comments:

  1. Love this! Thanks for sharing. Would it be ok to email you? I want to nominate your blog for an award. Feel free to email me first @ ragan808@gmail.com
    Preschool Wonders

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I wanted this activity and I clicked your link. The activity that came up had a powerpoint of base ten blocks. I wanted the one you have with the number words! Could you point me in the right direction? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here you go! http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/FREE-2013-Watch-Think-Color-Reading-Number-Words-Game-451480

      Delete