Thursday, April 11, 2013

Work Task Ideas

Probably pretty similarly to most of you, when I started in my classroom 6 years ago, I had no materials.  I was thrown into a chaotic classroom in the middle of the year with no curriculum, school supplies, or idea of what I was supposed to do!  Luckily, shortly after I started, I was moved into a classroom that had been used for an after school program.  In the closet, I found a bunch of miscellaneous junk, that I used to put together some of my first work tasks.  And, these are still in pretty good shape still today!

In my closet, I found a ton of pattern blocks, but nothing to do with them.  I went out to a teacher supply store (although, I'm sure there are plenty of online versions available now) and bought some pattern block design sheets.  I laminated them and put velcro on them.  Then I put velcro on the back of the pattern blocks and used them as independent work tasks!  Pretty easy way/cheap way to make a quick work task.



My first year, I was also given these plastic pencil pouch filled with random school supplies that had been donated to the school.  I had no idea what to use them for, so turned them into a packaging task.  I had students follow the visual directions (which I taped on the outside of the pencil pouch) to put one of each item into the pouch.  


These tasks were quick and easy to put together using left over "junk" left by someone else...just goes to show, one person's trash is another person's treasure!

Don't forget to check out my TPT store today....Everything is 20% off April 10-12 in honor of Autism Awareness Month.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea w the velcro and the pattern blocks. I've seen some of those lying around and might just do the same, Heather

    ReplyDelete