Friday, April 12, 2013

JINGO

We definitely LOVE bingo games in my classroom.  I split up my students into 3 different social groups (each having students at a variety of levels).  I work with each group 1 afternoon a week on playing a variety of board games (Bingo games included).  I have been slowly collecting a variety of bingo games to help my students work on developing vocabulary and social skills at the same time.  Bingo is a great game that my students can play on their own.  I assign a student to be "in charge" of being the Bingo caller.  They are also in charge of checking the other students' boards to make sure they put the tokens on.  The only tough part of bingo-like games is that many of my students don't understand how to win (horizontal, vertical, diagonal, etc.).  So we always play full board "blackout" bingo.  Not only does this make it more clear to my students who "wins," it also takes up more time so the games last longer than a few minutes!  


 One version of Bingo we have started to love is JINGO.  Most recently, I purchased "Around the House JINGO."  Instead of purely matching pictures or numbers like some of my other bingo games, JINGO gives clues to hint at the vocabulary words involved.  Here is a picture of a JINGO board.

Here are some samples of some of the JINGO clue cards.  These are great because, there are multiple clues.  Also, for students who struggle with playing with the clues, the picture of the item is available as well.  I thought my students would struggle with guessing the correct items, but since they had their boards in front of them (with picture options to choose from), they did awesome!



JINGO comes in a variety of different themes as well!  I am definitely looking into buying more in the future! 

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of JINGO. I am going to look this up right away. My students get bored with our Survival Signs Bingo games and are ready for something like this. Thanks, as always, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am addicted to Jingo. I have bought about 5 of them so far. They are wonderful for my students.I love the holiday JINGOs.

    ReplyDelete