Sunday, April 21, 2013

Healthy Art Project

Our school was one of 34 schools in the country that won NFL Play 60 contest this year.  What does that mean?  Well, we get money to create and implement healthy activities and we got a pep rally with NFL player Tim Jennings!  One of my students even got selected to go to a 60 minute gym class run by Tim Jennings (he had a blast!).  Our school has really been working on upping the health this year, which is awesome!  We finally have Recess(!) and my school hired a second gym teacher to help up student activity levels.  


This past week, all of the 3-5 graders were asked by the school create some "healthy artwork."  I ALWAYS love when my school remembers us and includes us in school wide activities...because sometimes in special ed classes, we are forgotten or left out (I'm sure you other sped teachers know what I'm talking about!).  
I was (happily) surprised at how amazing our craft went.  First, I asked my kids to help me brainstorm healthy foods on the board.  Every (verbal) student was able to come up with something!!  I was so proud...I guess the skills from our nutrition science unit have maintained!  Next, we made plates by drawing a big circle and cutting it out.  Last, we drew pictures of healthy foods on construction paper, cut them out, and glued them on our plates.  

I think they turned out super cute (but maybe I am a bit biased!)

1 comment: